Hungry for something simple? I was up for trying something new in the slow cooker last week. While I’ve made made many chicken dishes using a jar of salsa, I hadn’t tried cooking with a jar of marinara sauce. Pretty exciting to have yet another option for dinner with simple ingredients tossed right into the cooker. Love it.
I have to admit, for my first try, this came out a winner. I wanted to amp up the flavor of the sauce by adding something zesty. Lately I’ve been totally digging banana peppers. Yum. Then, I added some olives for an extra pop of flavor and contrast. Something was missing though and it was black pepper! Just a few sprinkles really balances this dish out nicely.
Want a quick and easy meal too? Give this a try. I promise, it’s ridiculously easy!
- 1.5 - 2lbs Boneless Chicken Tenderloins or Sliced Chicken Breast
- 1 Jar of Marinara Pasta Sauce (24 oz)
- 3/4 Cup for Banana Peppers (drained)
- 1/2 Cup of Black Olives Sliced
- Optional: Black Pepper
- Place the chicken in the bottom of slow cooker, add banana peppers and olives to the top.
- If desired, sprinkle black pepper over the chicken.
- Finally, pour the jar of marinara sauce over the chicken evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.5 hours.
Stir it up with me. What slow cooker recipes have you tried recently?