Baking bread can be a time consuming task, I've dabbled here and there and came up with some good tasting breads without a bread machine. But, I honestly just don't have time for that right now. A few months ago, I picked up cookbook that was right by the checkout at my local drugstore called "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly" which is packed with low fat slow cooker meals. We've tried quite a few of them, but there was one super awesome one that I'm glad to have incorporated into my regular go-to recipes when time is crunched or I am in serious need of getting to the grocery store (which seems to happen quite often I might add).
The original recipe is called Parmesan Garlic Quick Bread, but I've made an even simpler version of it. One change that I've made is to avoid adding the three spices it calls for and swap those for just an Italian seasoning. Like shortcuts? Then, you'll like this quick bread! The best part is that it only takes an hour to make! Um sweet!
What makes the bread work? Bisquick! Yup, tried and true.
I won't exaggerate and say this is the best bread you'll ever have, but it sure is a great comfort food when you want to serve a little something fun with your meal.
It's really flexible too, you can basically add any combination of seasonings or cheeses to make it more exciting.
Tomorrow I am going to try to make a sweet version of the bread, maybe cinnamon and brown sugar?
If it comes out good, I'll be sure to share.
- 1.5 Cups of Bisquick Baking Mix (Heart Healthy works too)
- ½ Cup of Milk (Skim works, too)
- 3 Tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- Suggested, but Optional: Add 3 Tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese and / or sprinkle with ½ cup of shredded cheese of your choice.
- Mix all ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Spray a non-stick spray on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour into your slow cooker.
- Set on high for 1 hour. Voila, enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 45mgSodium 775mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 9g