If you're looking for a simple sweet treat to make with your kids or as an addition to your normal cookie spread, these Homemade Sugar Cookie Bars from Scratch are the perfect dessert! These extra thick bars start with a special traditional sugar cookie dough baked until they are rich and fluffy. Then, we will top with rich and simple frosting for the the perfect sweet touch. This post may contain affiliate links.
HOMEMADE SUGAR COOKIE BARS RECIPE
Thick sugar cookie bars bars from scratch start with an easy to prepare dough that is then pressed into a baking pan and baked until rich and fluffy.
They are topped with rich frosting made by stirring softened butter into a beautiful frosting.
HOMEMADE SUGAR COOKIE BARS INGREDIENTS
Here are the very common pantry staples needed to make these classic bars from scratch.
All-Purpose Flour - is an all-important staple in any kitchen and it's a key ingredient in almost any baked good you can think of from cake batter to pizza dough.
Baking Powder - is a leavening agent used for cakes, pancakes & muffins. It’s perfect for those last-minute desserts or the day you planned to bake but didn’t have time!
Sea Salt - is a regular ingredient that I use in practically everything. It adds the perfect pop to enhance flavors.
Unsalted butter - is a common ingredient in recipes for pies, cookies, breads, caramel popcorn, and gravies. With this unsalted butter you can give your treats some more zip that gives you more control for adding your own flavor level.
Granulated Sugar - is imperative for sweetening all kinds of desserts form cookies to cakes.
Large Eggs - are a very versatile ingredient that can be used in many different recipes from breakfast to our favorite dessert recipes.
Vanilla Extract - is one of the most commonly used ingredients in sweet baking recipes. Perfect to add a rounded hint of sweetness to your desserts.
Sprinkles - (jimmies will bleed less) Turn your desserts into confections with just the touch of a sprinkle. Sprinkles can be often times used to add color, or even flavor like in icing for those sweetly adventurous bakers out there. Make all your baked sweets come alive by adding sprinkles. They will make every holiday feast that much more merry!
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR COOKIE BARS
There are three simple steps to making these homemade bars.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray, set it aside. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In the body of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Add the eggs one at a time, letting the first egg mix all the way in before adding the next. Next, add the vanilla and mix it in until combined. Add the flour mixture and stir it in until combined, scrape down the sides, and mix it in a few more times until fully mixed in. Mix your sprinkles and stir them in.
- Press the cookie dough into the prepared baking dish until even. Bake for 25-28 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Now that we are done with the bars, let's make FROSTING. Yum.
EASY FROSTING INGREDIENTS
Unsalted Butter - is perfect for creating a variety of frostings like this one when softened.
Powdered Sugar - is the best to use to keep your frostings and icing light and fluffy vs. granulated sugar. I love keeping it on hand mostly for making homemade whipped cream. So yummy.
Sea Salt - we will also use a tiny amount to whip up the topping for these sugar cookie bars.
Vanilla Extract - another splash of this ingredient to round out the frosting and give it some body.
Whole Milk - we will just use a dash for the liquid in this easy frosting recipe.
More Sprinkles for Garnish - you really can never have too many sprinkles, if you ask me.
MAKE FROSTING FOR SUGAR COOKIE BARS
Time to slide into home base and finish up this classic treat.
- While the bars cool, make the frosting by placing the butter into a large bowl with an electric hand mixture and whipping until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time until fully mixed. Add the salt, vanilla, and milk, stir it in until combined then place the mixer on medium-high speed and whip for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Once the cookie is cool, take it out of the baking dish and frost the top. Add more sprinkles if desired. Cut into bars and serve.
These sugar cookie bars are thicker than your normal sugar cookie bar. They cook up nice and thick with a terrific chew. They taste just like frosted sugar cookies but in bar form. Add your favorite extract flavors to mix up the flavor of the bars. You can also dye the frosting whatever color you like. I used jimmie style sprinkles because they tend not to bleed. This nutritional information is for reference only. We are not responsible for these calculations.
Serving Size one bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 86mgSodium 94mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 0gSugar 20gProtein 2g
These sugar cookie bars are thicker than your normal sugar cookie bar. They cook up nice and thick with a terrific chew. They taste just like frosted sugar cookies but in bar form.
Add your favorite extract flavors to mix up the flavor of the bars. You can also dye the frosting whatever color you like.
I used jimmie style sprinkles because they tend not to bleed.
This nutritional information is for reference only. We are not responsible for these calculations.
Include these in all of your baking this year! Give them as gifts to friends, family or neighbors. They are so easy and delicious that they will be enjoyed by everyone on any occasion. I hope you’ve found some inspiration from my post today.
Share this blog post if you enjoyed it - I appreciate the support!