Make your own Easter smash unicorn for a fun surprise with candies and sprinkles for kids.
Easter is a magical time, bring out the unicorns. You may have noticed a smash chocolate trend lately. It's the perfect marriage of CHOCOLATE and FUN. When I spotted these Magical Easter Unicorns, I know that it needed to be filled with candy and smashed with a cute pink mini mallet. Enter Smash Unicorns! This post may contain affiliate links.
HOW TO MAKE A SMASH CHOCOLATE UNICORN
Finding this magical unicorn treat is a must to make a smash unicorn. The best part about this easy idea is that you don't need to deal with melting chocolate or chocolate molds. Kids will have an absolute blast and you will love how little effort this is.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A SMASH UNICORN
It seriously takes about 10 minutes to make this cute treat. Let's go over the simple items needed to make this pretty smash chocolate treat.
- Magical Unicorn Chocolate - made by RM Palmer. Birthday cake flavor with colorful candy sprinkles. Seems to be only available around Easter, so may want to stock up now for any upcoming celebrations you want to do this for.
- Colorful Sprinkles such as these magical Unicorn Sprinkles
- Small Colorful candies such as pastel Jelly Beans - pink and purple colored small candies look perfect with this. Note that you will want to avoid marshmallow candies because they might get stale.
- Mini Mallet is a must if you plan on giving this smashable chocolate as a gift. I used these mini mallets and painted them pink. If you don't feel like painting yours, I found these cute mini mallets with pink bows on them.
- Knife - to cut off the top of the hollow chocolate vessel.
- Something to heat Knife such as hot water or a lighter to heat lighter (optional) at own risk.
HOW TO MAKE A SMASH UNICORN
Making a smashable chocolate gift is by far easier with this method. Taking a hollow chocolate and using it in place of melted chocolate and molds is less messy and a time saver.
First up, I want to note that you should handle your hollow unicorn chocolate with care. Some areas are thinner and easy to break. Also, be sure to hold and touch around the perimeter, otherwise you will easily leave fingerprints all over it.
Next, identify where you want to make the cut. The shape of this unicorn is a bit odd and not as easy to get a good clean cut as other hollow chocolates. I decided to do directly above the horn. It was a risk, but it turned out perfectly. The opening was just big enough to add all of my candies.
MELT THROUGH CHOCOLATE
Now it's time to use a heated knife to melt through the top piece. I used a lighter to do this easily, so this method is only for adults and at your own risk.
Alternately you can heat a knife under hot water and dry it to use.
Carefully use your heated knife to gently "saw" through the top of the unicorn letting it half melt and slice at the same time.
This will take a few minutes to accomplish, so be patient. You don't want to force the cut or you might get an uneven slice.
Once you have removed the top, it's time to add all of you candies. I recommend only filling the unicorn about half way. The more full it is, the less cool the "smash" will be.
After you have filled your unicorn, it's time to reseal it.
To do this, I used a lighter again to run over the perimeter of the base. Once you see that melty shine, you will be able to press the top back on.
Once the chocolate sets, which will just take a couple minutes... you are good to go.
To gift this cutie, place it back on into the original box and attach a cute mini mallet.
You might even add a little note to the mallet, instructing the recipient to smash it.
This will make the perfect Easter Basket Filler for kids this Easter.
- Magical Easter Unicorn (RM Palmer brand)
- Assorted Candies such as Jelly Beans
- Colorful Sprinkles
- Remove chocolate unicorn from packaging and set packaging aside.
- Identify where you want to make the cut directly above the unicorn's horn.
- Melt through the area to remove the very top of the unicorn with a heated knife. To heat the knife, I used a lighter, so this method is only for adults and at your own risk. Alternately you can heat a knife under hot water and dry it to use.
- Carefully use your heated knife to gently "saw" through the top of the unicorn letting it half melt and slice at the same time. This will take a few minutes, so use patience to make that perfect melted cut.
- Once you have removed the top, it's time to place candies inside. I recommend only filling the unicorn about half way. The more full it is, the less cool the "smash" will be.
- Reseal the unicorn. I used a lighter again to run over the perimeter of the base fo the cut. Once you see that melty shine, you will be able to press the top back on.
- Once the chocolate sets, which will just take a couple minutes, your unicorn is is ready to be packaged up to for gifting.
- Place unicorn back in packaging, add a mini mallet and gift to your recipient.
Be sure to handle your hollow unicorn chocolate with care. Some areas are thinner and easy to break. Hold and touch around the perimeter only, otherwise you will easily leave fingerprints all over it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smarty Stop Jelly Beans Grape Light Purple
Pink Strawberry Jelly Beans Candy
CandiFetti My Favorite Candy Unicorn Sprinkle, 2.82 oz
MOTZU Wooden Hammer for Chocolate, 5" Mini Wooden Hammer Mallet Pounding Toy Wooden Mallets Solid Natural Hardwood Hammer for Cracking Piñata Cake
R.M. Palmer Magical Easter Unicorn, Hollow White Chocolate Birthday Cake Flavored with Sprinkles, 7.5 ounces
What do you think? Fun?