As the years tick on in life you begin to realize the importance of spending time with family and friends. Throwing a last minute party together can be easy to do if you just concentrate on a few important things leaving you less stressed and with more energy for the actual party itself!
1. Invitations – With email and Facebook so widely used this day and age it is becoming more acceptable to send out invitations online. When throwing a last minute party together this can help get the word out quickly and you will have just as great of a turn around time on the RSVP. Evite is also another quick,free and easy email invite option. Don’t forget that some of your friends may not use the computer and for those a quick phone call will work.
2. Cleaning – When throwing a last minute party you are not going to have time to clean your entire house. Decide which rooms your guests are going to see and concentrate on them and shut the doors on the rest. The kitchen, dining area, living room, entryway and the bathroom will probably be the most used rooms during a party. Grab some kind of carrying caddy and fill it with your cleaning supplies so you can quickly go from room to room. Carry a box or laundry hamper with you pick up all those things that are not in their correct place. Then after you finish cleaning you can quickly put all these scattered items back in their place or throw it in your bedroom closet for working on after your party if you are running out of time (just don’t forget where you put it or you may be searching for that missing book or toy for a long time!). One last note on cleaning before we move on. Make sure you pay special attention when cleaning the bathroom! This is one area of your house that guests will visit at least once if not 2 or 3 times. Check out: Cleaning Recipes with Lemon Essential Oils.
3. Decor – Do not waste valuable time and money on buying a ton of decor for your party. Using too many decorations in a small space can tend to be a little overwhelming so stick to some simple vases of fresh cut flowers and throw in a little ambiance with lighting. White Christmas lights can do wonders for dressing up an area indoors or out. If digging through your ornament box seems a little to stressful you can pick up strings of white lights at your local craft store. Easy Decor Ideas: Adult Ice Cream Party, White Picnic Ideas , 1 Hour Party Decor.
4. Food – Having a good old fashioned pot luck can help curb the prep time for a party. Fix the main course yourself and enlist a few friends to help you with the side dishes. If you are determined to do it all yourself keep it simple by serving something easy like a taco night or spaghetti and garlic bread. Don’t overlook creating easy to make and serve dishes using your slow cooker too. These things don’t take quite as much time as a 5 course meal and can be just as good. You can really cut out the prep work when throwing a last minute party by ordering pizza and having it delivered. There are plenty of options including vegetarian that should keep all of your guests happy and cut down on valuable time!
5. Drinks – Keeping your drink menu simple is best when throwing a last minute party. Pick three items that will work best for the guests in attendance and go with it. Most guests will not mind if you don’t serve their favorite drink of choice. There are even many great ways to fancy up water by adding a little cucumber and mint, blueberries or even watermelon. Let the fruits marinate in the water over night so that you get the full flavor when serving. See: Easy Infused Water Drinks.
6. Music – It’s always great to have a little music playing at your party to make quiet times not so quiet. If you have a favorite party disk or two these work great on continuous play or if not pandora has playlists that will work well for any group of party goers. What?s most important is to be able to hit play and walk away!
7. Entertainment – Have a few of your favorite games sitting out for everyone to see just in case the game mood strikes. The great thing about last minute parties is that guests are pretty much just there to be with one another and enjoy good company. Anything else that comes along will just be an added bonus so have the games ready and available and just wait and let the good times roll!
8. Relax and Enjoy – After 1-3 days of rushing around to throw a last minute party remember to sit back, relax and enjoy your time with your guests. Often times we stress about the small things (things our guests don’t even notice) and forget to relax and enjoy ourselves. All the hard work is done by the time the guests arrive so stop stressing and have some fun!
Need some party inspiration? Check out my Party Themes Pinterest Board for ideas!
Do you have any tips for throwing a last minute party that have worked well for you?